HijackThis is a free utility that generates an in depth report of registry and file settings from your computer. HijackThis makes no separation between safe and unsafe settings in its scan results giving you the ability to selectively remove items from your machine. In addition to this scan and remove capability HijackThis comes with several tools useful in manually removing malware from a computer.
[box type=”note”]HijackThis does not determine what is good or bad. Do not make any changes to your computer settings unless you are an expert computer user.[/box]
Advanced users can use HijackThis to remove unwanted settings or files.
How to use:
- Download the latest version of HijackThis from Here.
You should not run it from your Temporary Internet Files folder as your backup folder will not be saved after you close the program, It’s better to save it on desktop.
- Go to the directory in which you save HiJackThis.exe and then:
- For Windows XP : double-click on HiJackThis.exe to run it.
- For Windows Vista and Windows 7: right click on HiJackThis.exe, choose Run as Administrator and allow the warning.
- Click on the Main menu button and then on Do a system scan and save a log file.
- Once the scan finished, the log file called hijackthis.log opens automatically in Windows notepad. Select all the text (Ctrl+A), copy it (Ctrl+C) and then paste it (Ctrl+V) on a Mail or you can save the file in the desired directory by clicking on File | Save as… and save it to a tech to review it for you.
Do the following only if a tech asks you:
On occasions some types of malware able to hide within the HJT log and some registry keys escape detection by using special characters.
So, if it is requested on the forum, please do the following :
- Rename HiJackThis.exe to scanner.exe.
- Now run scanner.exe from safe mode. (How to use Safe Mode?)