The K-Lite Codec Pack is a collection of DirectShow filters, VFW/ACM codecs, and tools. Codecs and DirectShow filters are needed for encoding and decoding audio and video formats. The K-Lite Codec Pack is designed as a user-friendly solution for playing all your audio and movie files. With the K-Lite Codec Pack you should be able to play all the popular audio and video formats and even several less common formats.
General strong points:
- It is very user-friendly and easy to use.
- It is updated frequently. So it is always up-to-date with the newest and best components.
- The pack provides an excellent out-of-the-box experience for novice users, while at the same time offering many options for expert users to tweak things.
- All included components have been carefully selected by codec experts.
- The pack offers a high level of flexibility. You can for example configure your preferred decoders and splitters for many formats.
- Works great in combination with Windows Media Player and Media Center.
- It also works great with all other popular DirectShow players. For example Media Player Classic, ZoomPlayer, BS.Player, KMPlayer, PotPlayer, GOM Player, and many others.
- Uninstallation removes everything that was installed by the pack. Including all registry keys. All changes are properly undone and reverted to the state prior to the installation of the pack.
- It is a very complete package, containing everything you need to play all your movies and music.
- However, the pack is also much more light-weight than many people think or assume it is. The pack is available in different sizes and each variant is fully customizable.
- This pack has a huge user base. This means that problems are found and resolved quickly.
Advantages of the pack compared to installing codecs manually:
- The best available codecs are already selected for you by codec experts. There is no need to figure out what you need.
- It is much easier to keep all your codecs up-to-date. There no need to keep track of updates to individual components.
- Components are automatically configured to work together in perfect harmony. Something that is not easily achieved if you would install everything manually. Certainly not if you use a mix of different splitters and decoders.
- Better default settings.
- More configuration options during installation. This is particularly useful for unattended installs.
- The pack has options to activate video thumbnail generation in Windows Explorer. All popular video file formats are supported.
- Adds support for showing file properties such as duration and width/height in Windows Explorer for FLV and MKV video files.
- The pack automatically configures Windows Media Player and Media Center to recognize all common audio and video file formats, so that such files show up in your media library. Normally this would require all kinds of manual Registry tweaks.
- The pack includes very useful tools for managing and configuring the installed codecs.
Advantages of the codec pack compared to using only MPC-HC:
- The codec pack contains an optimized build of MPC-HC. The main difference with the standard builds of MPC-HC is that most of the internal codecs have been removed. The removed codecs are unnecessary because better external codecs are available.
The codecs from the pack offer better performance, stability, and quality than the internal codecs of MPC-HC. They also support much more audio and video formats, and provide more functionality.
Even the developers of MPC-HC agree that external codecs (such as the LAV Filters) are better. They even have plans to someday replace their internal codecs with those superior codecs.
By using the K-Lite codec pack you get the best playback experience, with a light-weight version of your favorite player. Don’t settle for ‘good’, but go for ‘excellent’ instead.
Unique features compared to other codec packs:
- The pack works on all versions of Windows from XP to Windows 8. The intelligent installer automatically adapts itself based on your version of Windows. It also adapts itself based on what other codecs are already installed on your computer.
- The installer is able to detect broken codecs and DirectShow filters on your system, and helps you to fix those problems. This unique functionality has helped thousands of people solve problems they were unable to fix themselves or with other packs.
- The installation is fully customizable. You can choose which components you want to install.
- It is extremely easy to make a fully customized unattended installation with the integrated wizard.
- The pack has many options, which allows you to tweak it to your own specific needs and preferences.
- It helps clean up other codecs installed on your computer. The installer is able to detect and remove over 100 different codec and filter packs. This help you get rid of old junk, prevents conflicts, and leaves you with just the essential and best codecs.
- It does not contain any codecs or filters that are known to be bad, buggy or unstable. In fact, the installer is able to detect and disable several known troublemakers that may already be present on your computer. This solves problems and improves system stability.
- There are different variants of the pack. From small to large. You can pick the one that fits your needs.
There are four variants of the K-Lite Codec Pack:
The basic variant contains everything you need to play all the common video file formats. Such as AVI, MKV, MP4, OGM, and FLV. This pack is for those who like a small no-nonsense pack. It is small, but powerful.
The standard variant contains a few additional features compared to the basic variant. It contains Media Player Classic, which is an excellent player for video files. It also has (better) support for playback of DVDs. This pack is recommended for the average user.
The full variant has some extras compared to the standard variant. It additionally contains madVR, GraphStudioNext, and a few more audio decoders. This package is suitable for power users.
The mega variant is the most complete pack. It additionally contains VFW/ACM codecs for video encoding/editing. It also contains a few extra tools and DirectShow filters.
For detailed tables with comparisons of the abilities and contents of the different variants of the codec pack, have a look at the comparison of abilities and comparison of contents pages.
The four variants of the codec pack mentioned above are all 32-bit. There also is a 64-bit version of the codec pack.
If you have a x64 version of Windows, then it is recommended to install both a 32-bit and a 64-bit version of the codec pack. They work together in complete harmony. It is important to also have 32-bit codecs on a 64-bit system because many applications are still 32-bit, including Windows Media Player!!!
- Download Page: CodecGuide.com